Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's getting easier.

Today was my third day of getting up early and I have to say, it was not as bad as the other days. I guess it also helped that I had a good night's sleep. I actually woke up before my alarm went off.

It was good for me that today of all days that I actually could think straight because Tyler had a meltdown. Kids are so funny. Well, not really funny as in haha. What I mean is they are these small people who have emotions just like adults but they don't know how to express them. So he started out saying something about his birthday party which was news to me because his bday is in September. So I just listened. Then he said, "When I have my birthday party I wanted to invite the kids from my other class." Then he just burst into tears. I told him that it was ok and that by the time he has his birthday he will be in first grade so he would have been in a different class anyway. We kept talking about it for a few minutes. And then he said, " I don't like it when people miss me." I was like, what? So I asked him what he meant. He said that his old teacher, you know the one I hated, told him she would miss him and he doesn't like her missing him. He wants to go back to her class. I explained that I was sorry that we had to move and that he had two teachers now and everything was going to be great. That really didn't help. lol. So I asked him if he liked his new class and he said no. I asked him why and he said there was too much yelling. I assumed he meant from the other kids. But when I asked him what he meant he said the teacher yells at the other kids and he's afraid she going to yell at him. We talked about it some more and I told him I packed him his lunch and then a special snack for snack time (because I am an awesome mom!) and I showed it to him. I thought it would make him happy but he just burst into tears again. So I asked him what was wrong now. He said he wanted to go back to his old class because they had snack before lunch time and his new class has snack before carline. AHHHH...finally. So let me get this straight. He is upset because he misses his old friends and now doesn't like the new class because his routine is totally out of whack and is afraid the teacher is going to yell at him? I totally get it. The birthday thing was what was throwing me off. Also he is probably nervous about starting a new school and moving and all but he didn't know how to deal with. Which then caused the meltdown. I just let him cry for a few minutes because face it, sometimes you just need to get it out. Then I told him he could have some yogurt when he got home from school. Apparently that did the trick and he was fine. And then on the way to school he started telling me some good things that he liked about his new school. So I guess he doesn't totally hate it. It will just take some getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment